December 31, 2002
Some things I noticed this year.
Rather than the usual year-end top ten of fave rave discs or some hopeful, yet unattainable set of goals for the next twelve months, I’ve come up with this simple list of things I noticed over the past year.
- A new job is exciting.
- Two new jobs is overwhelming.
- A new job is terrifying, even if you know what you’re doing.
- Working with old friends makes things better.
- It helps if old friends know what they’re doing too.
- You can forget a lot about print production after working in web design.
- It’s hard to start from zero.
- It’s easy to start from zero.
- Previous employers sound nervous and bitter during analyst calls whenever a business started up by former employees is mentioned.
- Maui is a wonderful place to vacation. Again.
- A dead cat washing up on a beach after a storm isn’t any less gruesome because the beach happens to be in Maui.
- Sunsets always amaze me.
- The hard drive that has gone the longest without a backup is invariably the one which will crash and not be recoverable.
- Storage is cheaper than I realized.
- I get more excited about little things than I used to.
- You can never give or have enough hugs.
- My kids loved summer art camp.
- So did their mom.
- Artwork that my daughters created at summer art camp makes a wonderful starting point for our annual hand-made Christmas cards.
- The project to put together your annual hand-made Christmas cards should be started in August when you first get the idea in your head that the kids summer art camp projects would make a wonderful starting point for them.
- Not all fresh business ideas are winners.
- Taking pictures for no reason whatsoever is very therapeutic.
- Kids will finally learn to ride a bicycle after the younger kids down the block learn to ride their bicycles first.
- Puppies chew everything.
- Martinis have become increasingly enjoyable.
- Active Server Pages hurt my head.
- A plecostomus is generally not supposed to live 14 years.
- You can’t flush a 14 year old plecostomus.
- A newly paved back alley makes a fantastic playground.
- If you keep putting lids on your bird seed in the shed, you’ll get fewer mice.
- Unix still baffles me, but in a different way each time.
- Puppies poop. A lot.
- My mom scared me.
- Crying hurts.
- Crying helps.
- My mom is going to make it.
- My dad is strong.
- My wife amazes me over and over again.
- My family is more important to me than it ever has been.
- My friends are many.
- Puppies know when you need one in your lap.
- Turning 40 next year probably won’t be so bad after all.
Have a great new year. Learn lots. Discover things. Enjoy it all.
This item was posted by.
Leave a comment or send a trackback from your own site.